No one can refute the benefits to be had in using keyboard shortcuts, especially those for Windows. Not only do they help you save time, but they make it easier to navigate your system. Did you know that Windows allows you to create shortcuts to open apps that are on your desktop? This quick tip could save you time, especially if you have a high number of shortcuts and apps on your desktop.
These steps will help you create keyboard shortcuts which allow you to open apps on your Windows 7 or 8 desktop.
- Right click on the desktop shortcut of the application.
- Click Properties and a popup will appear.
- Click the Shortcut tab.
- Scroll to the section where it says Shortcut key. Enter a Shortcut key followed by a combination. They key combination should either be ctrl + alt + a number or a letter OR ctrl + shift + a number or a letter.
- Click the Apply button on the lower right part of the popup box.
Once you have established the shortcut, go to your desktop and give it a try. Be sure that when you establish the shortcut you take note of the key strokes in the section. If you want to use another key aside from Ctrl, press it instead. We recommend Shift or Alt.
- Go to the start menu
- Right click and a menu at the bottom will appear. Click the Start Apps button on the lower right part of the page.
- Right click on the app that you want to assign a keyboard shortcut to and click Open File Location from the menu at the bottom.
- Right click the shortcut and select Properties.
- Enter a combo key in the Shortcut Key box. They key combination should either be ctrl + alt + a number or a letter OR ctrl + shift + a number or a letter.
- Click the Ok button to assign the shortcut.
Keyboard shortcuts used to open programs may not seem to be a big deal to some, but for business owners, knowing these simple tricks can help us focus on the more important things like growing our business.
If you have keyboard shortcuts or tricks for Windows 7 and 8 that you find very useful, please share them in the comments section below.
You can also call or email us for any inquiries, we’d be more than happy to help.